Sheridan County School District #2 is hiring a School Counselor for Meadowlark Elementary!
- Position Type: Student Support Services/School Counselor
- Date Posted: 5/4/2022
- Location: Meadowlark
- Closing Date: 5/18/2022
Elementary School Counselor
The Sheridan County School District No. 2 is seeking a caring, supportive, and professional School Counselor to join our team for the 2022/2023 school year!
Why choose us? Click here to learn more about our school district, and our community. Click here to learn more about the beautiful town of Sheridan, Wyoming. To view additional videos from Sheridan Travel & Tourism, click here.
- Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board Certificate or state license in Social Work or Counseling.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or Counseling.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: School Principal
JOB GOAL: To help students overcome problems that impede learning and to assist them in making educational, occupational, and life plans that hold promise for their personal fulfillment as mature and responsible humans.
- Assist teachers and administrators in understanding and providing for individual students emotional and social needs.
- Assist individual students with social, emotional, psychological and personal issues confronting them.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in communicating with students, parents, staff and administrators.
- Provide individual and group counseling and guidance that leads students to increased personal growth, self understanding, and maturity.
- Plan and execute classroom presentations that are appropriate for general student population: i.e. – Refusal skills, body safety, friendships, etc.
- Assist in the coordination of efforts of the schools with the community and outside agencies in promoting programs to benefit entire student population: i.e. – Positive Action, Drug and Alcohol, Cisco, etc.
- Provide direct intervention and counseling services to students as necessary.
- Assist in the development of the child’s educational plan in terms of social, emotional, and academic behavior in solving specific student problems.
- Represent the district in meetings with other agencies concerned with social welfare: D-Pass, Mental Health, etc.
- Make home visits to gather and provide information, explain school policies and procedures, listen to parents’ point of view.
- Serve on district wide committees and building committees to improve educational services provided and evaluate those in existence: i.e. – Positive Action, Guidance and Counseling etc.
- Serve as a support to parents by providing suggestions and coordinating methods of home programs for child.
- Serve as a referral source of services in community that are available to family and children.
- Serve as consultant in the areas of social, emotional, and academic behaviors in solving specific educational and student problems.
- To act as advocate of child protection issues.
- Represent the school in special education parent conferences.
- Provide individual crisis counseling and developmental counseling referred by teachers, parents, administrators, or the student himself.
- Develop a pro-active approach to school social work by assisting classroom instruction in self-understanding and self-growth.
- Provide a resource for classroom teachers in any and all areas that concern human behavior.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of Federal laws for students with disabilities such as I.D.E.A. and Section 504, Rules and Regulations Governing Students With Disabilities in Wyoming Public Schools, and local rules and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor and school administrators.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Approximately 187 days; salary and fringe benefits to be set by Board of Trustees.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be in accordance with provisions of the Board’s Policy on Evaluation of Certified Personnel.
Job category: Certified
Exemption Status: exempt
Insurance Eligibility: full time insurance
Contracted position: yes
Sheridan County School District No. 2 does not discriminate on the basis of economic status, intellectual ability, race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, disability, or religion in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in, its educational programs or activities. Inquiries concerning Title VI, Title IX, Section 504, and ADA may be referred to Sheridan County School District No. 2:
Title IX Coordinator
Human Resource Director
201 N. Connor St.
Sheridan, WY 82801
Section 504 Coordinator
Special Services Director
201 N. Connor St.
Sheridan, WY 82801
The closing date displayed is a guideline for candidates and hiring committees. All job postings shall be open for a minimum of five days before they are filled. Once five days have elapsed, committees may begin selecting, interviewing, and hiring qualified candidates. An application is not a guarantee for an interview. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply early, as job postings may close sooner than the listed close date.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of this position and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act exemption status (exempt/non-exempt from overtime) is designated by position. Sheridan County School District No. 2 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Wyoming State Statute requires any employee initially hired by SCSD2 on or after July 1, 1996, to pass a criminal background check with DCI (Department of Criminal Investigation).
Link to full job and application instructions here: https://www.applitrack.com/scsd2/OnlineApp/default.aspx?Category=Student+Support+Services&AppliTrackJobId=669&AppliTrackLayoutMode=detail&AppliTrackViewPosting=1